[openstack-dev] [Quantum][LBaaS] Service type framework: todo & cleanup

Kanzhe Jiang kanzhe.jiang at bigswitch.com
Fri May 3 15:07:51 UTC 2013

Hi Eugene,

In Sumit's proposal, serviceTypeProvider is the same as your original one.
I think it is the best to determine whether the serviceType should be a
string or an object by considering how a serviceType would be used. One use
case is that the plugin should be able to determine the driver for a given
serviceType. Another one is a tenant should be able to list all "LB"
serviceTypes and pick one based on either quality, its favorite provider,
etc. Making serviceType a string seems trivialize its definition a bit too
much.

Regarding "ServiceOffering", I guess the disconnect is the confusion around
your definition: "ServiceOffering is services grouped by additional
parameter like insertion mode or quality". Why do we need to group services
by their insertion mode? The one thing that I can think of is for
routerInserted services. If I understand correctly, grouping routerInserted
services can be used to express a router with multi-service capability.
However, the grouping doesn't work for any other insertion mode. For
example, grouping L2-inserted services into an offering doesn't make much
sense.

Sumit's proposal of using serviceOffering to group services would satisfy
routerInserted services too. Yes, the serviceOffering could be used later
for service chaining. So we might be able to address both needs with this
proposal.

Thanks,
Kanzhe

Kanzhe Jiang