[openstack-dev] Continuous deployment - significant process change

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Fri May 3 10:33:49 UTC 2013

On 03/05/13 12:04 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>Flavio Percoco wrote:
>> On 02/05/13 14:57 -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
>>> The removal would be all pain for almost no gain. In fact, I would
>>> think that the stable maintenance team would appreciate that the code
>>> is more like trunk when they have to backport patches in areas
>>> adjacent to experimental code paths. The inverse is true too (if the
>>> experimental bit has been made the default, then they'll have more
>>> burden). But I think we can expect this to be at worst a tie in terms
>>> of maintenance burden.
>>
>> My concern is about features that, for some reason, never get fully
>> implemented.
>> Is that something being considered here?
>>
>> Wouldn't that require to remove the feature anyway?
>> What's the maximum time allowed for a feature to be fully implemented
>> before it is removed from the tree?
>>
>> If we let incomplete features to land during a release cycle, I'm +1
>> for removing them before the release if they haven't been fully
>> implemented.
>
>There are two cases: incomplete features (where time has run out and a
>release is cut before the feature can be "enabled"), and abandoned
>features (where nobody is working on that feature anymore, so it will
>never be completed).
>
>I suspect that Clint is advocating for not removing incomplete features
>from release branches (to reduce last-minute disruption caused by
>ripping out stuff, and minimize master-to-stable backport costs), but
>that he would be OK to remove code for abandoned features from the
>master branch once we are sure it's abandoned.

Understood. Thanks for clarifying that.

Thing is, we wont be able to know whether a feature will be abandoned
until it actually is. We can say that a feature has been abandoned after
some time has passed and no one has contributed to it.

FWIW, I think both things are related and it should be taken under consideration when the last
contribution to that feature happened during the release cut. If it hasn't been "touched"
during the last 2 (?) milestones then it shouldn't be released.

Hope that makes sense,
Cheers,
FF

--