[openstack-dev] no-downtime DB migrations

Jay Buffington me at jaybuff.com
Thu May 2 18:06:57 UTC 2013

Having database migrations between commits is necessary to be able to run
openstack components in a continuous deployment environment, so I'm really
excited about this.  I bet the Rackspace guys are as well.

I believe we're defining policy here, so there isn't a lot of technical work to
be done.  If there is please let me know, I'm happy to chip in where ever
necessary.

I agree with the constraints Robert laid out.  We need to make sure each core
reviewer enforces them during the review process.

I've seen that Grenade (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Grenade) is "a test
harness to exercise the OpenStack upgrade process between releases."
Perhaps the
work needed to be done here is to get a grenade commit gate up that ensures that
a commit successfully upgrades the database between commits (I'm assuming that
doesn't already exist).

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:

> IIRC glance was going to be the guinea pig, with code migrating from
> there to oslo once it starts to mature.

The glance meeting is in a couple of hours.  I didn't see database migrations on
the agenda.  Mark, can it be added?

Thanks!
Jay