[openstack-dev] Swift Simulation

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Thu May 2 16:11:23 UTC 2013

Hrmm.... Sounds more like an estimator.

There's lots of things that can effect different types of performance
besides number of nodes - ring params, storage tiering, hardware, drives,
load balancing, ssl termination, network.  Depends on your use case and
what you're trying to optimize for.  Unfortunately a lot of learned lessons
and findings here are still gut feel.  We were lucky to have some deployers
& operators at the OpenStack design summit that willing to talk about their
setups, plus lots of folks working on benchmarking Swift - so we can start
to get real world data and some numbers behind all this.

It's possible that the combination of open discussion around deployment
topologies and benchmarking might one day lead to broader confidence in
predicting how "adding servers to a swift cluster" might
"improve performance [..] so that the user can known in advance at least to
an approximate value what this improvement in performance might be before
actually *using* any swift resources" [emphasis added]

An example of another project that sorta does what you're describing here
might be really helpful since I'm still not quite sure I understand fully
what you're describing - but I'm pretty sure nothing like this exists for
Swift.

OTOH, If you ask some experienced swift deployers and operators (many of
whom hang out on this list or #openstack-swift on Freenode) you're likely
to find someone willing to chat about the *specific details* of your setup.
 We might even be able to get some back of the napkin math behind it...

GL,

-Clay