[openstack-dev] [Heat] A concrete proposal for Heat Providers

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu May 2 12:04:14 UTC 2013

On 02/05/13 02:27, Tripp, Travis S wrote:
> I think this evolved to a very useful and real use case, but I actually would like to provide a little more to Thomas' original point.  I've been on a number of customer engagements where we are talking to them about setting up a private cloud and one of the big questions that the customer looks for is the ability to re-use resources for application deployments, because for some reason or another they don't want a VM per app. Usually it involves taking existing applications running in their legacy datacenter that they want to put into a new cloud paradigm. It would be great if all applications could be written for the cloud, but we've been told that X customer can't afford (time or money) to re-write their suite of 1000's of applications but IT wants to be more agile at providing infrastructure.  A very common reason has been to leverage a shared database that has DBA support for ongoing maintenance (backup, tuning, patching, etc). I can think of numerous ways to support t!
 his withou
t Heat, but if nothing else, perhaps this would be to allow one stack to fetch meta-data from another stack so that it could configure itself using metadata from resources in another stack?

If I understand correctly, this is supported now. Templates define an
"Outputs" section that can reference data about resources in the stack
(e.g. the dynamically assigned IP address of an instance). These outputs
can be read from the API once the stack is created and either used
directly or passed to another stack as parameters.

cheers,
Zane.