[openstack-dev] [Quantum][LBaaS] Service type framework: todo & cleanup

Eugene Nikanorov enikanorov at mirantis.com
Thu May 2 07:42:36 UTC 2013

Salvatore, Kanzhe,

I don't mind renaming ServiceGroup to ServiceOffering especially if it
makes more sense to you :)
I've updated the wiki.

Regarding the workflow: I specifically made this a two step process to
avoid taking decision at plugin (which could be additional complex problem)
and put it onto User.
Vendor choosing at plugin is analog of scheduling and it seems that we're
going to have just too much of flexibility here.

Another solution to this could be Sumit's suggestion where we merge
ServiceTypeProvider with ServiceOffering parameters.
In fact as a first implementation step, I'd just leave ServiceTypeProvider
as simple as just a pointer to driver class.

*> Conversely, if we go for directly specifying the service provider type
when creating a LB resource (see wiki page), then one will always *
*> be telling to the plugin which driver should be used.*
*> With this approach there would be no space for this use case, and
probably also the concept of service group will become irrelevant.*
My impression was that ServiceOffering is grouping of services around
additional parameters such as insertion mode or service quality.
So to me it doesn't seem that ServiceOffering will be irrelevant in the
case you're talking about.

Thanks,
Eugene.