[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] Splitting the Baremetal driver out of Nova

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu May 2 05:37:07 UTC 2013

Hi Devananda,

On Wed, 2013-05-01 at 09:10 -0700, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> To clarify this request, since there seems to be some ambiguity as to
> whether I suggested a scope reduction to Nova or a new incubated project, I
> am, in fact, suggesting both at the same time, and would like the TC to
> consider these requests in parallel. Specifically, I would like to see the
> baremetal code be split out of Nova and into a new project, code name
> Ironic, which would start incubation immediately, and thereafter follow the
> normal incubation process until the TC determines that graduation is (or
> isn't) appropriate.
>
> A salient point here is that, at the moment, there is no separate codebase
> for ironic. The majority of functionality lives in these places within the
> nova tree:
>
>   bin/nova-baremetal-deploy-helper
>   bin/nova-baremetal-manage
>   nova/api/openstack/compute/contrib/baremetal_nodes.py
>   nova/virt/baremetal/*
>   nova/tests/baremetal/*
>
> I am starting the work of splitting the code now(), and waiting for the
> TC's determination of incubate-or-not to see whether the code gets hosted
> on the stackforge or openstack org. Once the split tree is working to some
> degree, I'll reply to this thread with a link to github, so folks can start
> to look at it.

So, is the idea that we'd very soon switch the Nova baremetal driver
over to using the new project?

I think a parallel was being drawn with nova-volumes/Cinder, which
suggested to me that the current baremetal driver would remain for a
transition period while the new project settles in?

Personally, I can see the difficulty with making it happen that way and
I'd be pretty confident you could make this a success in Havana without
a transition period.

However, maybe you could get the new project going first and host the
re-worked baremetal driver on a github fork for a few weeks before
proposing it gets merged into Nova?

Cheers,
Mark.