[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] Proposal for API version discovery

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Thu May 2 03:50:33 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

> On 05/01/2013 08:46 PM, Gabriel Hurley wrote:
> > Based on input from several of the PTLs (and others), I'd like to
> > propose the following outline for how version discovery should be
> > handled across heterogeneous clouds:
> >
> > https://etherpad.openstack.org/api-version-discovery-proposal
> >
> > Further discussion is absolutely welcome, and I would like to propose
> > it as a topic for review by the Technical Committee at the next
> > meeting since it involves a significant cross-project standardization
> > effort.
>
> I dirtied your pretty doc with two questions - but they are nitpicky
> things. In general, I think it's sexy.

Hi Gabriel,

Wondering if you'd mind describing a bit more the problem you're actually
trying to solve here?  I don't quite understand what you see as the actual
use case, and in particular the extensions piece.

That being said, I'm all about the discovery piece and think it's  a great
idea, however I'd like to know how far this goes.  Is it just "I offer
x,y,z versions of the API"?

I am confused as to how this addresses things like multiple drivers in an
environment such as Cinder or Nova where that sort of thing is typically
abstracted out.  How does this look from a tenant perspective?  Sorry,
these are some of the questions I brought up yesterday, I'd be curious to
hear more.

Thanks,
John