[openstack-dev] [Nova][Heat] scheduled-images blueprint

Gabe Westmaas gabe.westmaas at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed May 1 20:12:47 UTC 2013

On May 1, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:

> On 2 May 2013 05:10, Gabe Westmaas <gabe.westmaas at rackspace.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I would be very tempted to put it in horizon. [I can expand on why if
>>> it's not obvious].
>>
>> Hey Robert,
>>
>> If you mean directly in horizon without a separate API, then yes, I need you to expand on why :)  If a feature like this is useful, and there is an API for it, yes it should definitely be exposed in Horizon.
>

> So it seems to be to be a tool for folk that aren't doing large scale
> systems management - its a backup solution like countless others. That
> sort of thing, to me, feels like a end-user-console specific thing.
> Specifically, given there is an API to snapshot an image already
> (AIUI), all we need is cron + invoke that API, which for people using
> Linux to run servers in a cloud is a trivial thing.
>
> Technically, as I see it you need:
> - a UI that calls the low level snapshot-instance API
> - a cron replacement
>
> Which Horizon, as a Django app that calls novas APIs already has both of :).

I definitely agree that users that choose to do this are likely running at a small scale - but if there are enough of those users it suddenly becomes a large scale item.

At large scales you need something more than a cron service that is tied to your UI - plus I think there is value in having the ability to add this to other control panels - which I get you could do in the same way, but I just don't see the value in moving scheduling into the UI.

Gabe