[openstack-dev] Upgrade from Essex to Grizzly has to be supported

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed May 1 18:01:02 UTC 2013

On 05/01/2013 01:48 PM, Ryan Lane wrote:
> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org
> <mailto:zigo at debian.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     It seems that by policy, upgrading directly from Essex to Grizzly isn't
>     supported. There's simply no SQL upgrade scripts for it.
>
>     Though, I think this is a huge mistake. Currently, in Debian, we have
>     Essex in Wheezy and SID, and Grizzly in Experimental. There's no room
>     for Folsom anymore. I already have some bug reports that it isn't
>     possible to upgrade from SID to Experimental.
>
>     As much as I understand, the only problem is the SQL upgrade scripts.
>     What would it take to have the Essex to Folsom upgrade scripts re-added
>     to Grizzly? Is this something I will have to maintain myself (which
>     would be quite annoying), or could the policy change, and the scripts
>     added upstream?
>
>     Thoughts?
>

> I don't understand why sql upgrade scripts from any release would ever
> be removed. It should be possible to do a data migration from any older
> version of OpenStack to the current version.

I believe we collapse them down on each release, so that grizzly has a
single migration that knows how to migrate from folsom. I could be wrong
about that.

If there is a different thing we can do to make some things better here,
I'm not opposed to that - but I do not believe that we're going to spend
a good amount of energy on supporting arbitrary version upgrades such as
essex->grizzly. It's possible that it'll work with a sequence of db
migrations. Essex isn't supported in any way by OpenStack at the moment,
so there would be absolutely no way to test that such a thing works.