[openstack-dev] [nova] Nova v3 API work

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed May 1 14:54:10 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Christopher Yeoh <cbkyeoh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 May 2013 08:49:08 -0400
> Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The goal is to get the new API extension framework in by H1 (end of
> > > May) with just support for the core API functionality and some
> > > example extensions along with unittests. The idea is at that point
> > > onwards we can have a few people easily working parallel to port
> > > the rest of the API extensions (and associated tests).
> > >

> > Are you building a completely new API implementation for Nova, or just
> > modifying the way extensions work?
>
> Both, but the plan has not been to make any radical changes in the API
> from v2 in v3, but primarily bug fixes which we can't otherwise do
> without breaking clients. The bigger the API divergence the greater the
> amount of work we'll have getting equivalent test coverage too.
>
> Here's the encompassing blueprint for the planned changes:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/nova-v3-api
>
> And here's the design summit etherpad discussing the sort of changes
> we're planning on making:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/NovaV3APIHavana
>
> > Pecan will completely replace the existing WSGI framework, so I'm not
> > quite sure how it would work to do it in chunks.
>
> Ok, its sounding like the best time to do the WSME/Pecan conversion if
> we want to do it is at the same time. But to keep on schedule I still do
> think we'll need someone with good Pecan/WSME experience to volunteer
> to get at least the basic support integrated with the new extension
> framework patches by the H1 deadline about 4 weeks away.

Maybe it's better to wait to update nova with the v4 API, then. There will
(eventually) be pressure from the Python 3 work to help attract help, and
if we plan ahead I should be able to set time aside as well. There are some
other projects interested in experimenting with the tools, and they have
smaller APIs than nova.

Doug