[openstack-dev] [Doc][LBaaS] API doc for LBaaS extension is ready for review

Ilya Shakhat ishakhat at mirantis.com
Fri Mar 29 09:03:00 UTC 2013

Hi Balaji,

There are 3 blueprints directly related to LBaaS:
 * https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/lbaas-restapi-tenant -
REST API as it is specified at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Quantum/LBaaS/API_1.0
 * https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/lbaas-plugin-api-crud -
db and plugin
 * https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/lbaas-namespace-agent -
agent and driver for HAProxy

The agent part is less documented, but its designed similar to L3 and DHCP
agents. The agent polls LB plugin via RPC and retrieves the full
configuration. If there are changes (new objects in PENDING_CREATE state,
or updated in PENDING_UPDATE) they are applied to HAProxy. Every pool/vip
results in 1 haproxy process running on the same host as agent. Haproxy is
executed in separate IP namespace, thus all load balancers isolated from
each other from OS and network perspectives. There is exactly 1 haproxy per
pool/vip.

The roadmap for LB plugin is vast and will be discussed at the Summit.
Current proposals are at https://etherpad.openstack.org/havana-quantum-lbaas
.

Thanks,
Ilya