[openstack-dev] [EHO] Project name change [Savanna]

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Mar 29 03:30:37 UTC 2013

On 03/22/2013 08:22 PM, Sergey Lukjanov wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> we have changed our project codename to Savanna (from EHO). Here is our new wiki page - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Savanna and new site - http://savanna.mirantis.com.
>
> We decided to do that because of the following reasons:
> * we don't want to violate trademarks usage of Hadoop and OpenStack
> * we think that Savanna sounds much better than EHO for the english speaking audience
> * if Savanna will become an integrated OpenStack project, OpenStack Savanna is much better than OpenStack Elastic Hadoop on OpenStack
> * Savanna is the place where elephants leave :)

Hi!

I just looked at your wiki page - it's looking good. Have you guys
looked at integrating heat into your provisioning step? It seems like if
you're going to spin up elastic clusters there may be some overlap.

Also, I don't know if you are aware of it, but the TripleO group has
made a tool in stackforge called diskimage-builder (we're not as good at
names as you are) We've already worked with the reddwarf guys to make it
the basis of the service images they deploy. It seems that since you
deploy images with hadoop pre-installed, a mechanism to describe and
create those images is going to be something you'll need... we'd love to
talk with you about it at some point. Are you going to be a the summit?

Monty