[openstack-dev] Policy on using GPL libraries [was Re: rtslib dependency for cinder is AGPL - thoughts?]

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Mar 25 21:54:31 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-03-22 at 17:44 -0400, Richard Fontana wrote:
> Just *one* more comment on this, as I wish to say something more
> explicitly than I did before (partly because I'm now more confident
> about something I assert here).

> I am reasonably confident that all mainstream Linux distributions have
> been operating for years under the consistent assumption that the
> answer to this general question is "no".

Oh, you do tease :)

> My wish is that any policy adopted by OpenStack on this issue be
> developed and worded in such a way that it will not have problematic
> or disruptive consequences for such Linux distributions.
>
> Red Hat (my employer) is, of course, only one of a number of companies
> substantially involved in developing and distributing such Linux
> distributions that are also substantially involved in OpenStack.

I wouldn't interpret any of the discussion in this thread as anyone in
OpenStack having a particularly strong view on this issue[1]. I think
we're crying out for someone to make a firm, reasoned argument for what
our policy should be.

Thanks,
Mark.

[1] - when I say "this issue", I mean whether OpenStack projects can
ever use GPLed libraries ... not the specific issue of rtslib