[openstack-dev] HEAT - AutoScaling stack waits for resource endlessly and then fails to start.

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at redhat.com
Mon Mar 25 00:44:53 UTC 2013

On 24/03/13 14:17 +0530, Skanda Nag wrote:
>I've tried to create a stack using the
>AutoScalingMultiAZSample.template file. The LoadBalancing instance
>boots up normally. The actual instance which has to start continuously
>waits for resource and then dies.
>
>013-03-22 11:26:29.718 10817 DEBUG
>heat.engine.resources.wait_condition [-] Polling for WaitCondition
>completion, sleeping for 6 seconds, timeout 600 handle_create
>/opt/stack/heat/heat/engine/resources/wait_condition.py:258
>
>The load balancer instance starts up, then uses a wait condition.
>however, i'm not able to ssh or ping into the load balancer instance.
>
>Any tips on how i can get this to work? Thanks.

Hi

This works for me, but only after _really_ making sure my repos were
uptodate (esp. the python clients).

I rm -rf python-*clients and ran ./stack.sh again.

In the heat-engine logs you should see an rpc method "metadata_update"
that comes from the api, this is what tells the engine that the vm is
ready to progess (the vm posts a wait condition to the api when it is
finished or config failed). A common problem is when the vm can't
communicate from the vm to the host, to check this ssh into the
vm (something like "ssh ec2-user at 10.0.0.2") and check to see if
you can communicate with the host. Whilst you are there check
the logs and see what is running.

-Angus