[openstack-dev] Keystone Benchmark

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 22:29:11 UTC 2013

If there was going to be a benchmark suite for keystone, I'd suggest
contributing it to keystoneclient rather than keystone itself. That said,
here's an example of a one liner exercising v3 auth:

$ keystone --os-token=ADMIN
--os-endpoint=http://localhost:35357/v2.0/bootstrap --user-name=admin
--pass=admin --tenant-name=admin
--role-name=admin
$ cat auth-v3.json
{"auth": {"identity": {"methods": ["password"], "password": {"user":
{"name": "admin", "password": "admin", "domain": {"id": "default"}}}},
"scope": {"project": {"name": "admin", "domain": {"id": "default"}}}}}
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 <$Revision: 1373084 $>
Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation, http://www.apache.org/

Benchmarking 127.0.0.1 (be patient).....done

Server Software:
Server Hostname:        127.0.0.1
Server Port:            35357

Document Path:          /v3/auth/tokens
Document Length:        463 bytes

Concurrency Level:      16
Time taken for tests:   16.192 seconds
Complete requests:      100
Failed requests:        0
Write errors:           0
Total transferred:      66700 bytes
Total body sent:        36200
HTML transferred:       46300 bytes
Time per request:       2590.670 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       161.917 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          4.02 [Kbytes/sec] received
                        2.18 kb/s sent
                        6.21 kb/s total

Connection Times (ms)
              min  mean[+/-sd] median   max
Connect:        0    0   0.2      0       1
Processing:   222 2399 524.8   2581    2641
Waiting:      222 2399 524.8   2581    2641
Total:        223 2399 524.6   2581    2641

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
  50%   2581
  66%   2596
  75%   2610
  80%   2616
  90%   2626
  95%   2634
  98%   2639
  99%   2641
 100%   2641 (longest request)

This is just on my i5 laptop w/ sqlite db on disk, so while keystone is
slow, this is even slower.

-Dolph