[openstack-dev] Future of Launchpad Answers [Community]

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 18:04:59 UTC 2013

On 03/21/2013 01:55 PM, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> Hello folks
>
> with http://ask.openstack.org rolling we need to decide what to do with
> Launchpad Answers. These are referenced as 'Technical Support' inside
> pages like https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Project_Resources like for
> example, for Nova, swift, ecc:
>
> Answers (tech support): https://answers.launchpad.net/nova
> Answers (tech support): https://answers.launchpad.net/swift
>
> I know that Answers has interesting features, like it allows for a
> question to become a bug very easily. On the other hand, Launchpad UI is
> bad and from what we hear, Launchpad Answers itself doesn't have a
> bright future ahead.
>
> I would suggest that we don't promote the use of Answers anymore and use
> Ask OpenStack instead, with specific tags. If we really need the
> Question-to-bug functionality we can always develop an extension to
> Askbot (the software that powers Ask OpenStack) to interoperate with
> Launchpad.
>
> What do you think?

I have made use of the conversion feature, but it's not *that* often.
For me it's usually converting a bug into a question.  It's just as easy
to recommend that someone try posting on the ask site.

I definitely don't think we should have both systems going at the same
time.  If we can shut down the launchpad answers sites for each project,
I think we should do that.

--
Russell Bryant