[openstack-dev] [PY3] Python3 Compatibility Team

David Ripton dripton at redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 17:54:20 UTC 2013

On 03/19/2013 09:23 PM, Eric Windisch wrote:
> I would like to announce the creation of the Python3 Compatibility
> Team.
>
> Our goal is to wean OpenStack projects off Python 2 and to allow new
> projects entering OpenStack incubation to be written in Python3. I
> intend this will happen through a combination of gate testing as well
> as an active porting effort for our library projects. We are now
> seeking members.
>
> For communication, please use the openstack-dev list with the [PY3]
> tag in your subject.
>
> Meetings are bi-weekly (every other week) on Thursdays at 16:00,
> following the Metering team meeting. The first meeting is this
> Thursday.

We had our first meeting at 1600 UTC.  Here's a quick check of the
dependencies for Oslo:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3Deps

Feel free to update it.  We started with Oslo because everything else
depends on it, but obviously we need to fill in the other projects too.

The big blockers seem to be eventlet (gevent doesn't do Py3 either),
MySQL-python (maybe switch to pymysql), routes, and iso8601 (looks small
and easy to fix).  There are also some packages that I couldn't quickly
find Python 3 information about.

David Ripton   Red Hat   dripton at redhat.com