[openstack-dev] pep8 pinning in requirements

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Mar 20 18:59:26 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-21 02:29:17 +0800 (+0800), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> It is also, IMO wrong, to believe that everyone will just run
> Ubuntu, devstack and virtualenv, so therefore, we shouldn't care
> (I believe this is the assertion you are doing here).

I don't think anyone believes that at all. For the record, I do all
my development on Debian... much of it on the current stable release
of Debian for that matter.

Different operating systems and distributions are never going to
coordinate on a single, common version of any tool. Our options are
to not rely on pep8 at all, fork/reimplement it, or expect people to
install the same version we enforce in our CI (alternatively they
can rely on occasional feedback from CI as an oracle to what needs
cleaning up).

How is this any worse than (in my experience a majority of) projects
which don't automate style checking at all, and instead rely on
reviewers to bikeshed over an arbitrary style policy before
approving new commits? At least this way we can provide contributors
a fair chance to determine in advance what will be acceptable
without needing to predict a random set of reviewers'
interpretations of style guidelines.
--
Jeremy Stanley