[openstack-dev] pep8 pinning in requirements

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Mar 20 11:53:32 UTC 2013

I noticed yesterday with the cinder review that pep8 was listed as >=
1.3, and not pinned. I think this is a really bad idea.

After a large amount of pep8 churn at the end of Folsom, we agreed to
pin pep8 for Grizzly, and it was good. It prevented huge numbers of
churn patches because a new pep8 minor release came out and now we
needed an extra space somewhere to pass the scanner.

I realize that we're trying to uncap as many deps as possible, but I
think doing that for pep8 isn't the right call, because of the amount of
code churn it causes. I've got a review to change this back to the old
behavior - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/24848/

I think at the beginning of every release cycle we should bump pep8 to
the latest release version, and pin it there for the release. That will
provide all the pep8 churn at the beginning of the release, when things
are pretty quiet otherwise, and take the hit on code cleanups on our
cycle, not on the whims of an external project.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net