[openstack-dev] nova plugin docs or examples?

Daniel Mercer dmercer at fantoccini.com
Wed Mar 20 03:16:21 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

Are there any definitive docs or examples of the current mechanism for extending nova with plugins? In particular, I want to write a plugin which recieves notifications from nova for the kind of events described here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/SystemUsageData.

I found a number of leads.

- abogott's 5/2012 thread on an RFC for a plugin framework:
  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/dev/13077

- A related openstack wiki page:
  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Novaplugin

I am working from ~grizzly and I see that there are some promising looking modules under nova.openstack.common. In particular, the callbackplugin module seems to be a perfect base for me to start with, but I'm not able to determine how to cause my code to be called by nova. If someone can provide some pointers, I'd be happy to volunteer writing up some documentation, if that process hasn't already started.

dlm