[openstack-dev] rtslib dependency for cinder is AGPL - thoughts?

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Mar 19 19:06:11 UTC 2013

On 03/19/2013 02:56 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 03/19/2013 02:16 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:
>> On 03/19/2013 01:54 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:
>>> On 03/19/2013 01:31 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> <snip>
>>>
>>> So Sean, if you were doing a license review, was this the only (A)GPL
>>> dependency you found (are there any GPL deps) ?
>>
>> For the record, I was speaking to Sean and neither of us know of any
>> problematic Python dependencies in the Folsom release.  This would only
>> apply to new dependencies introduced in the Grizzly timeframe.
>
> The list of new dependencies for Grizzly that got are the following:
>
> jsonpointer                BSD-like    0.5
> python-alembic            MIT    0.4.2
> python-jsonpatch            BSD-like    0.10
> python-openssl (pyOpenSSL)     Apache V2    0.13
> python-rtslib                AGPL V3    2.1.fb27
> python-stevedore            Apache V2    0.8
>
> All the others are fine and license compatible besides python-rtslib.

Great, thanks.  So how about we do this:

1) Move cinder-rtstool to its own separate repo (rtstool).  This could
be on stackforge for convenience, but it would not be an official
OpenStack project.

2) Remove rtslib from the requirements list of Cinder.  Don't list
rtstool as a requirement.

3) Make sure Cinder can gracefully handle whether or not rtstool is
present on the system.

4) The TC needs to work on clarifying license policy and ensuring that
we have a process in place to make sure the policy is reviewed for each
new dependency.

5) Cinder folks may want to consider targetd support in Havana.  It
would be HTTP access to something (A)GPL licensed as opposed to having
to execute something.  Executing something should still be fine though
AFIAK, but IANAL.  :-)

--
Russell Bryant