[openstack-dev] openstack vs. well known ports

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 17:23:26 UTC 2013

I'm very much in favour of any public endpoints being served through ports
80 & 443, with the API URI's being different to differentiate them (ie
http://hostname/auth/v2 for keystone, http://hostname/glance/v2 for glance,
etc). This allows the use of many multi-homing solutions based on the URI
to direct the requests to the right back-end server if one is using such a
tool.

Right now the overlap between API's makes this impossible to achieve,
resulting is us requiring the use of many, many ports. When clients are
accessing the API's from behind firewalls with strict rule sets or through
proxies this becomes quite a process to have to walk through with the
client.

As far as I see it - the API paths should be more descriptive and unique
and the ports should be configurable. This gives us the option to choose
how to deploy it into production.

On 18 March 2013 12:56, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > On 2013-03-15 14:27:02 -0400 (-0400), Sean Dague wrote:
> > [...]
> >> Has there been any investigation by anyone going to IANA to get some
> >> ports registered for OpenStack projects? Picking ones at random has
> >> managed not to completely burn us up to this point, but it seems
> >> like it would be safer to get some known ones reserved.
> >
> > Well, there's 35357/tcp listed with IANA as "openstack-id (OpenStack
> > ID Service)" registered by Ziad Sawalha with Rackspace Hosting on
> > 2011-08-15, if that helps.
>
> A bit of historic context:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/dev/451
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/dev/3153