[openstack-dev] [Swift] Design note of geo-distributed Swift cluster

YUZAWA Takahiko yuzawataka at intellilink.co.jp
Fri Mar 8 07:16:39 UTC 2013

Hi David-san, Oleg-san

Now we have several approaches for geo-distributed Swift: ring of rings,
extended container-sync.
So we would like to clarify our idea. That is to provide geo-distributed
cluster on based the basic concepts of Swift.

The basic concepts of Swift that we think is following.
* single namespace
* autonomous objects dispersion

Therefore we had not basically touched the backend where objects are
stored actually (except performance improvement). We have aimed to
provide geo-distributed Swift by extend proxy-server. Also modification
of code would be less.

We have concerned that adding abilities ad hoc for geo-distributed
cluster might make difficult to operate systems,  and make difficult to
hold the scalability of system.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

--