[openstack-dev] [nova] Devstack, cells and conductor

Kieran Spear kispear at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 22:47:36 UTC 2013

Hi Andrew,

On 8 March 2013 01:48, Andrew Laski <andrew.laski at rackspace.com> wrote:
> On 03/08/13 at 01:10am, Kieran Spear wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm working on cells support for devstack based on a review that was
>> abandoned last year [1]. I hit an InstanceActionNotFound bug [2] but
>> found that it's fixed by an in-progress review [3] (by the same author
>> - thanks Andrew!). Has the review been forgotten? With the patch I was
>> able to create an instance successfully after a stack.sh run.
>

> I wouldn't say it's been forgotten, more a lack of prioritization on my
> part.  So if you're tackling this I am very thankful and happy to help in
> any way I can.  The review is essentially the same code as what I have at
> https://github.com/alaski/devstack/tree/cells_service but my github branch
> might have a few updates so you may want to look at that instead.

Ah, sorry, I was asking about the bug fix, but I'm probably just being
impatient. Thanks for the pointer anyway, I'll have a look and see if
I've missed anything. Devstack has changed a lot since then, so I've
had to use a slightly different approach to get the nova configs
right. Should I start a new review or push to the existing one?

>> This conductor stuff in Grizzly is still new to me. How does it fit in
>> with cells? I take it we need one conductor service per cell/db, even
>> at the top level cell? Any gotchas I need to be aware of?
>

> We've only really run cells with the conductor local api, not running it
> separately, but there shouldn't be any issues running it separately.  And
> you are correct on the setup, since each cell has its own db it would have
> its own conductor, and one at the top level.

Great. I considered switching to the local api but I figured I should
ask as it *seems* to work fine.

Cheers,
Kieran