[openstack-dev] [Quantum - Nova] Building virt metadata from quantum network_info

Ronak Shah ronak at nuagenetworks.net
Wed Mar 6 18:17:58 UTC 2013

Hi Stackers,

In the application that I am building, I have a requirement where I need to
pass a special tags in libvirt xml which contains my application specific
data to libvirt for the underneath switch/controller to understand.

The flow when you create a VM via Nova today is that it creates a port in
Quauntum via quantum client API, gets the network_info from quantum and
pass it to the virt driver code. This virt driver code than statically maps
that to a tag value in their xml.

My application needs a little more flexibility in terms of generating this
XML. I want to extract some of the information coming as metadata from
quantum as part of network_info and make a <metadata> tag out of it.

What would be a correct way to do that? Do I require to write my own
vifdriver class in nova/nova/libvirt/vif.py and build xml config there?

Thanks,
Ronak