[openstack-dev] New process for updating requirements

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Wed Mar 6 04:40:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

In order to update a requirement for an OpenStack project, you will
first need to propose the new version to the openstack/requirements
project.  Once it is merged there, it will appear in the OpenStack pypi
mirror, and only then can it be used in an OpenStack project.  This is
the first stage in a process to centralize and improve dependency
management discussed at the grizzly summit.

We just merged a change to devstack-gate that causes all of the devstack
runs to only pull packages from that mirror.  We will soon merge a
similar change to the Jenkins slave configuration so that unit test jobs
also only pull packages from there.

As discussed in another thread, there's a lot of nice things we'd like
to do around testing updated versions of packages -- they are not in
place yet.  The recent pypi instability (which has continued), has
necessitated that we institute this first stage quickly to reduce the
false negatives produced by continuing to rely on pypi for every test.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply or chat with us in
#openstack-infra on Freenode.

-Jim