[openstack-dev] Configuration files group/section case consistency between projects

Alessandro Pilotti ap at pilotti.it
Tue Mar 5 18:16:33 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

We recently moved the nova.conf Hyper-V options to a dedicated group and we ended up having different casings for the options group in Nova and Quantum, as section casing conventions differs between the projects. E.g.:

nova.conf:
[hyperv]

quantum.conf:
[HYPERV]

This inconsistency can lead to a lot of issues from a user perspective, as it's quite difficult to troubleshoot this type of configuration file errors. IMHO a common convention should be decided and applied consistently across all OpenStack projects. Since the [DEFAULT] group is uppercase, I'd go with this casing, but anything else is fine as long as it is consistent.

In a recent chat on the #openstack-nova channel, markmc proposed to do case insensitive group names matching, which IMO would be a perfect solution.
This is also supported by the fact that historically sections (groups) names are case insensitive in the INI format used by OpenStack: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INI_file#Case_insensitivity

Thanks,

Alessandro