[openstack-dev] #TODO management

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Mon Mar 4 16:55:25 UTC 2013

Yeah, I agree.  Too often TODOs are put there just to tell reviewers that
you are doing something short-sighted, but that you recognize it.  Really
reviewers should be enforcing that there is a bug to track that item, or
requiring it to just be done in the initial version.  There is also a use
of a TODO which I would probably refer to as a "FUTURE" tag, which is to
say: someday, we may plan on implementing X, and if we do that, the change
would go here.  One could argue that those are useful comments to have in
the code, but do not require bugs, as they do not actually represent
deficiencies that could currently be fixed.  Perhaps we should use
something other than TODO in that scenario.

Dan

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:

> Nachi Ueno wrote:
> > Hi quantum folks
> >
> > I would like to propose new #TODO format.
> >
> > #TODO(name) bug or lb [launchpad bug id] comment
> >
> > example: #TODO(nati) bug100000  fix me !!
> >
> > There are 114 todos in code. I'm not sure they have bug report
> >  but it's worth tracking it.
> > http://paste.openstack.org/show/32495/
> >
> > I'm not suggesting fix all existing #TODOs ,but how about
> > to this format for new #TODOs?
>
> Ensuring we have properly-prioritized bugs for #TODOs sounds like a
> great idea. Not sure that's just a quantulm thing though. I'd love to
> see the new format adopted elsewhere.
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)
> Release Manager, OpenStack