[openstack-dev] [Nova] Bug #741626 - FLAGS.fixed_range is silly

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 01:18:50 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Nathanael Burton <
nathanael.i.burton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it would be nice to take care of this bug as it would be fairly
> simple to fix and offer much more flexibility in allowing for
> non-contiguous fixed_ranges. In order to be backwards compatible with
> CONF.fixed_range I was thinking of adding a new config option, say
> CONF.use_dynamic_fixed_range, which if set to True would figure out the
> CIDRs to set up for NAT by looking at the networks on the current network
> host and then setting up the NATs for each. It would default to False such
> that existing behavior would not change. Does this sound worthwhile?

I'm not sure that adding another configuration option to nova.conf is
appropriate here, especially since this kind of thing belongs less in a
configuration file and more as data records in things like Quantum. The
fact that network setup is partly done in nova.conf and partly (mostly!)
done using nova-manage network create is a bad thing and we should not make
the situation worse.

Best,
-jay