[openstack-dev] What is the best practice for uploading multiple changes for one bug or blueprint?

Ilya Persky ipersky at griddynamics.com
Fri Mar 1 15:43:20 UTC 2013

Hi Guys!

Consider the following situation: we registered a blueprint (my-blueprint)
which requires a lot of coding. Say this blueprint describes a way for
creating unit tests for some big part of code.
It is generally a good practice not to include all this code in a huge
commit which can become a cause of multiple conflicts and reviewers'
headache, but to break it into a series of small independent commits (in
our example: consistent subsets of unit tests for independent modules e.g.).

My question is: what is the right way to publish such series of commits?

Say, I created a topic "bp/my-blueprint" which points to last upstream
commit and then I made three commits:

upstream_HEAD -> bp_commit_A -> bp_commit_B -> bp_commit_C

Is this a good practice to execute "git review" for each of these commits?
I see a lot of problems here: bp_commit_B can't be merged until bp_commit_A
is merged, etc. Or I'll have to rebase all of them somehow.

Another way is to create multiple topic branches for each of the commits:

bp/my-blueprint1: upstream_HEAD -> bp_commit_A
bp/my-blueprint2: upstream_HEAD -> bp_commit_B
bp/my-blueprint3: upstream_HEAD -> bp_commit_C

This doesn't look pretty and I don't know then what is the right way to
name such topics.

What do you think?..

Thanks in advance,
Ilya.