[openstack-dev] Build-time unit tests failing when building glance 2013.2.b1

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Sat Jun 29 19:26:02 UTC 2013

On 06/29/2013 02:14 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 06/30/2013 12:16 AM, Mark Washenberger wrote:
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> We switched to using entrypoints for creating our binaries.
>
> Can you explain this a bit more?
>
>> Unfortunately, this means you need to have the glance version
>> "installed" in some sense in your path when you want to run those tests.
>> This felt like a no-no when we made the change, but it worked fine
>> without any changes to our normal tox and run_tests.sh (with virtualenv)
>> so it made it through. Please let me know if this is really hard to deal
>> with on your side; I can imagine a few other possible fixes we might pursue.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Using virtualenv is indeed not an option on the packaging side. Having
> glance build-depends: on itself is also not an option.
>
> What can I do?

I believe we should fix the unittests to not shell out to glance-manage
in that manner. One of the nice things about moving the code from bin/
to glance.cmd is that it's available inside of the source tree for
unittests! :) What we want to do is call the glance.cmd.manage:main()
function directly. So, for instance, in:

glance/tests/functional/__init__.py
and
glance/tests/functional/test_glance_manage.py

We can call the function itself, rather than the shell wrapper.

I'll make a patch. Are you seeing problems with anything other than
glance-manage?

Monty