[openstack-dev] [Metrics][Nova] Another take on review turnaround stats

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Jun 28 22:13:55 UTC 2013

On 06/28/2013 05:43 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 06/28/2013 03:44 PM, Boris Pavlovic wrote:
>> Russell,
>>
>> I have some crazy Idea, about how to make reviewing more stable.
>> And how to avoid old patches at all.
>>
>> "Old" means that last update was more then N days ago.
>>
>> If there are patches that are older then N days:
>> we just hide "review" button for all patches except old patches.
>> When they are reviewed we return our button back. =)
>
> Heh, yes, that is a crazy idea.
>
> If a critical bug fix or a security patch is posted, we need to be able
> to review it ASAP.
>
> Not all patches are equal ... some things take longer because they are
> bigger, more complex, or for some other reason harder to review.  In
> many cases, not *all* of nova-core is qualified or comfortable with
> reviewing a given change.  They should still be able to reivew the
> patches appropriate for them.

At the infra bootcamp we just finished, we had the crazy idea that if
the review queue's total size passed a threshold, the project should
block submission of new patches until the queue decreased in size again.

I also think this is a terrible idea - but I thought I'd toss it out
there to let people see what happens when you put a bunch of dev
infra-minded people in a New York Loft in the summer...

Monty