[openstack-dev] [Metrics][Nova] Another take on review turnaround stats

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 12:24:14 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Russell Bryant
<rbryant at redhat.com>wrote:The results are much better than I was
afraid of.  On average across
all

> projects, patches waiting for review have an age of just under 14 days
> since they were first posted.  Nova is below average, sitting at an
> average of just over 10 days.  That doesn't seem bad at all, to me.

FWIW that matches pretty closely with my experience with the v3 api patches
for which there have been a reasonable volume of changesets with pretty
similar review complexity. From submission to merging, if there are no or
only very minor issues with the changeset, then it takes around two weeks.

I think its a very useful stat to have (and to monitor) so people have a
rough idea of how long before a reasonably well polished changeset needs to
be submitted before a deadline. In most cases, except perhaps for fairly
simple bug fixes, I think pushing something just a week before is being
pretty optimistic.

Suggestions for additional tweaks welcome.

How about time since first revision or -1 applied (but not including -1s by
Jenkins due to gate flakiness), whichever is shorter. That eliminates non
trivial rebases which I've found are often required after about 7 days but
doesn't push out the numbers where the submitter is slow in updating.

Regards,

Chris