[openstack-dev] [PTLs] Proposed simplification around blueprint tracking

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jun 28 10:27:40 UTC 2013

Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> A script will automatically and regularly align "series goal" with
>> "target milestone", so that the series and milestone views are
>> consistent (if someone sets target milestone to "havana-3" then the
>> series goal will be set to "havana").
>
> Now if the Launchpad API was exporting the "series goal" property, that
> would be easier... investigating workarounds.

OK, my patch to properly expose "series goal" in the Launchpad API just
went in, so we are unblocked. I now have a script that we can run
regularly that will adjust the "series goal" automatically based on the
content of the "target milestone".

So the plan is, for every project:

1- I'll create a "future" series with "next" and "ongoing" milestones

2- You'll look into blueprints that are in your havana plan
(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/PROJECT/havana) but without a
milestone set, and consider moving them to one of those milestones in
"future" (or set a havana milestone target if appropriate)

3- We'll enable the script, which will clear all havana blueprints that
don't have a milestone target set (see (2))

4- From then on, blueprints proposers will just need to set a target
milestone, and drivers will just need to regularly look at "Undefined"
blueprints and set a priority for them based on how much they care:

- Essential: Would prefer not to release without that feature
- High: Important feature that we should have in the release
- Medium: Optional feature that should still be part of the roadmap
- Low: Optional feature that we should *not* follow on the release radar
(a.k.a. "stop blaming me if it doesn't make it")

We'll review all this plan at the next project/release status meeting
before giving it the final go.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)