[openstack-dev] [State-Management] Collecting more requirements for a task system.

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Jun 27 22:13:53 UTC 2013

Howday all,

Rackspace and Y! (and others) have been working on taskflow<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TaskFlow> library and we have been trying to fill out requirements (while at the same time filling out the library itself).

Currently we have some insight into how cinder can currently benefit (via refactoring some of the code) and how heat currently has a task management 'like' system.

The under-discussion heat requirements were documented @ https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/TaskSystemRequirements (thanks zane!)

I've also started a basic template for nova @ https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/TaskSystemRequirements

We were thinking it might be good to organize all these 'requirements' or 'potential requirements' into wikis like the above and wanted to get further input on other openstack projects potential use-cases so that we can either discuss/plan ahead/develop for for said requirements. If a project you know about is building something like a task running system, it would be great to keep in touch :-)

If this means helping understand taskflow, that’s fine also. Most of us working on it can be found in #openstack-state-management and are more than welcome to discuss.

Any help on filling out the above links (or making new ones) would be greatly appreciated.

-Josh