[openstack-dev] OpenStack Programs

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Jun 27 10:04:45 UTC 2013

On 06/27/2013 10:10 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> It's not as clear of a slam dunk as the other (initial) programs due to
> the nature of their "deliverable", which is consumed by the projects
> themselves, so it's a bit of a corner case. Additionally, the reach of
> the Technical Committee is supposedly limited to "technical" matters, so
> we would have to rule that a message translation is a technical
> contribution, and therefore under the oversight of the TC (rather than,
> say, user committee or marketing team). Not saying it's not the case,
> just saying we would need to discuss that in detail.

Translations (should we say localization/internationalization?) are
definitely a technical thing and require making technical choices. Just
an example is the discussion about how to handle localization of
messages (logs, debug, errors, etc).  Also, localization and
internalization of code and manuals require development of tools that
integrate well with current development processes, much like for
documentation (see for example the 'DocImpact' keyword in commit logs).

> Mind you, I'm not closing the door or anything: translations can
> certainly apply to become a program (once/when we establish them). The
> goal of the "initial batch" is to catch up with the current state of
> "official projects", not to come up with a definitive or closed list.

Translations is already official project, and one that needs a strong
push too. I think it should be considered for inclusion in the first
batch of programs and integrated.

/stef