[openstack-dev] [Horizon] Is it the time to separate horizon and openstack_dashboard?

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Wed Jun 26 02:12:01 UTC 2013

On the one hand, this has largely been the long-term plan since I took over active development of Horizon/OpenStack Dashboard in the Essex cycle. On the other hand, it's a very significant undertaking to split them and has a lot of repercussions for the flow of development, management overhead, etc. I do think the underlying "horizon" framework module is beginning to approach a level of maturity where it is no longer absolutely critical that it be in the same code tree as the OpenStack Dashboard built upon it. It's taken a few years to get to that point. It would certainly simplify packaging concerns to pull them apart (after the initial repackaging pain). Personally, I have built several internal tools on the Horizon framework that have nothing to do with OpenStack and I know others have as well, so I'll say again that I am open to having this happen *eventually*.

I think creating a blueprint for this is a great first step. We can start identifying some of the larger issues that would need to be addressed. Once a plan is fully worked out it should be taken to the community at large as well.

I can guarantee this won't happen in the Havana cycle, but depending how things go I could see it being on the table in Icehouse (or later).

Thanks,

    - Gabriel