[openstack-dev] Diskimage-builder, Heat, and the Gate

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Tue Jun 25 13:21:08 UTC 2013

Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> writes:

> Cool proposed change coming in from the Heat folks -
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/34278/ to use dib to build their base
> images in devstack. From a development perspective, will make
> experimenting with Heat a lot easier.
>
> However, this raises an issue as we look towards using this in the
> gate, because diskimage-builder isn't currently gated by
> devstack-gate. But if Heat wants to use it we're talking about pulling
> upstream master as part of the build. Which opens us up to an
> asymmetric gate where a dib change can land which breaks the gate,
> then all nova changes are blocked from merging until it gets in.
>
> I think we need to be really explicit that on the gate, every git tree
> we pull in is also gated, to ensure nothing breaks other projects
> ability to merge code. Asymmetric gating is no fun.

Agreed -- and in fact this is enforced by code (which is why 34278 is
currently failing).  Devstack-gate sets the FAIL_ON_CLONE option in
devstack so that if devstack clones a repo that is not managed by
devstack-gate, the tests fail.

Anyway, back to the issue -- yes asymmetric gating is not fun, so the
only way we should be incorporating code into the devstack gate is
either via another gated project, or packaged and released code (be it
an egg or an operating system package).

> This gets a little odder in that dib is out on stackforge and not as
> part of an openstack* github tree. Which on the one hand is just
> naming, on the other hand if heat's going to need that to get through
> the gate, maybe we should rethink it being on stackforge
> vs. openstack-dev?

It looks like the TC agreed that dib should be part of a tripleo
program, and the TC is currently working out the details of programs.
So it looks like there is unlikely to be a hurdle for having dib
officially recognized.  We just need to decide where to put it.

-Jim