[openstack-dev] OpenStack Programs

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Jun 25 08:37:55 UTC 2013

On 25 June 2013 20:19, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

>> without a code repo today, so it's a moot point : I suggest saying
>> that until it is revisited, there cannot be a Program w/o a code repo.
>
> What we have today is a number of "efforts" that are pretty central to
> OpenStack (like producing releases or maintaining stable branches) that
> do not appear in the new taxonomy. Those efforts don't have a code
> repository, they work with all code repos.
>
> Should those be considered separate programs ? A single "production"
> program ? Or not programs at all ? I see you advocate for the latter.
> All participants to those efforts are already ATCs since their work is
> done on other projects, so that's not a big problem in that respect. The
> main issue I see is that if it's not listed anywhere, that work is not
> really visible, which does not entice anyone to join those and help.

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't advocating for those efforts to
not be programs, just that they shouldn't be programs *until* the
governance aspect was sorted out - and as I wasn't clued into those
efforts being large enough to make sorting out the governance aspect
relevant in the short term - but perhaps it is and we should.

So, doing [the 6 monthly] releases and stable branches seem like the
same thing to me : it's packaging up the project output for
consumption by redistributors (and low-resource risk-averse orgs).
That totally makes sense to me as a program - but I think calling it
'production' would be a bit confusing, as TripleO is focused on
production, whereas releases and stable branches are focused on
distribution, IMNSHO :)

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>