[openstack-dev] [Heat] autoscaling question

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at redhat.com
Mon Jun 24 00:09:54 UTC 2013

On 21/06/13 18:56 +0200, Patrick Petit wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>I'd like to have some confirmation about the mechanism that is going
>to be used to inform Heat's clients about instance create and destroy
>in an auto-scaling group. I am referring to the wiki page at
>https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/AutoScaling.
>
>I assume, but I may be wrong, that the same eventing mechanism than
>the one being used for stack creation will be used...
>
>An instance create in an auto-scaling group will generate an
>IN_PROGRESS event for the instance being created followed by
>CREATE_COMPLETE or CREATE_FAILED based on the value returned by
>cfn-signal. Similarly, an instance destroy will generate a
>DELETE_IN_PROGRESS event for the instance being destroyed followed by
>a DELETE_COMPLETE or DELETE_FAILED in case the instance can't be
>destroyed in the group.
>
>Adding a group id in the event details will be helpful to figure out
>what group the instance belongs to.

Hi Patrick,

It is really early in that design phase, but I don't see much changing
in the way servers are created/destroyed. All Heat resources go
through the same life cycle states, so even the policy will have the
same state change events.

I expect the autoscaling policy functonality to get smarter though.
But this is the descision on whether or not to have a scaling event
not how the server is scaled (we could also scale other things besides
servers).

-Angus