[openstack-dev] [Heat] re: discussion about passing metadata into provider stacks as parameters

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri Jun 21 16:00:13 UTC 2013

On 21/06/13 07:49, Angus Salkeld wrote:
> On 20/06/13 22:19 -0400, cbjchen at linux.vnet.ibm.com wrote:
>>
>> So anyway, let's get back to the topic this thread was discussing
>> about - "passing meta data into provider stacks".
>>
>> It seems that we have all reached an agreement that deletepolicy and
>> updatepolicy will be passed as params, and metadata will be exposed to
>> provider templates through a function
>>
>> In terms of implemetation,
>>
>> MetaData:
>>
>> - add a resolve method to template.py to handle
>> {'Fn::ProvidedResource': 'Metadata'}
>
> I think the name needs a little thought, how about:
>
> {'Fn::ResourceFacade': 'Metadata'}

It was my thought that we would handle DeletePolicy and UpdatePolicy in
the same way as Metadata:

     {'Fn::ResourceFacade': 'DeletePolicy'}
     {'Fn::ResourceFacade': 'UpdatePolicy'}

And, in fact, none of this should be hardcoded, so it should just work
like Fn::Select on the resource facade's template snippet.

Which actually suggests another possible syntax:

     {'Fn::Select': ['DeletePolicy', {'OS::Heat::ResourceFacade'}]

but I'm persuaded that accessing these will be common enough that it's
worth sticking with the simpler Fn::ResourceFacade syntax.

cheers,
Zane.