[openstack-dev] Cells design issue

Chris Behrens cbehrens at codestud.com
Fri Jun 21 16:30:09 UTC 2013

On Jun 21, 2013, at 9:16 AM, Armando Migliaccio <amigliaccio at vmware.com> wrote:

> In my view a cell should only know about the queue it's connected to, and let the 'global' message queue to do its job of dispatching the messages to the right recipient: that would solve the problem altogether.
>
> Were federated queues and topic routing not considered fit for the purpose? I guess the drawback with this is that it is tight to Rabbit.

If you're referring to the rabbit federation plugin, no, it was not considered.   I'm not even sure that via rabbit queues is the right way to talk cell to cell.  But I really do not want to get into a full blown cells communication design discussion here.  We can do that in another thread, if we need to do so. :)

It is what it is today and this thread is just about how to express the configuration for it.

Regarding Mark's config suggestion:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 2:14 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
> I don't know whether I like it yet or not, but here's how it might look:
>
>  [cells]
>  parents = parent1
>  children = child1, child2
>
>  [cell:parent1]
>  transport_url = qpid://host1/nova
>
>  [cell:child1]
>  transport_url = qpid://host2/child1_nova
>
>  [cell:child2]
>  transport_url = qpid://host2/child2_nova
[…]

Yeah, that's what I was picturing if going that route.  I guess the code for it is not bad at all.  But with oslo.config, can I reload (re-parse) the config file later, or does the service need to be restarted?

- Chris