[openstack-dev] about the ovs plugin & ovs setup for the tunnel network type

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Fri Jun 21 15:20:05 UTC 2013

For the list, I'll post the same response i gave you when you pinged me
off-list about this:

t was a long time ago when I wrote that, and the original goal was to use a
single bridge, but there some something about how OVS worked at the time
that required the two bridges.  I think it was related to how the OVS
bridge needed to learn to associate MAC addresses + VLANs to particular
tunnel ports, but I don't remember the details.  This stuff was pretty
simple, so I'm guessing if you mess around with it for a little bit, you'll
either find that it now works (due to some change in OVS) or that it still
doesn't (in which case, it will be obvious why).

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Armando Migliaccio
<amigliaccio at vmware.com>wrote:

> Something similar was discussed a while back on this channel:
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-May/008752.html
>
> See if it helps.
>
> Cheers,
> Armando
>
> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Jani, Nrupal <nrupal.jani at intel.com>wrote:
>
>>  Hi there,****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> I am little new to the openstack networking project, previously known as
>> quantumJ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Anyway I have few simple questions regarding the way ovs gets configured
>> the way it is in the current form in kvm!!****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Here it goes,****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> **-          **As I understand, OVS setups two datapaths instances
>> br-int & br-tun & uses patch port to connect them. Additionally it uses
>> local vlans in the br-int for the vm-vm traffic!!****
>>
>> **o   **I understand the reason behind the current setup but I am not
>> sure why it needs to be like it?****
>>
>> **§  **can’t the same features can be supported with single instance
>> like br-int & fllows are setup correctly to get things right including
>> quantum security groups?****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> I know there must be some technical reasons behind all these but I just
>> want get some history & also want to know whether anyone is planning to
>> enhance it in future?****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Thx,****
>>
>> ** **