[openstack-dev] XML Support for Nova v3 API

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 02:28:44 UTC 2013

On 06/19/2013 08:34 PM, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering what people thought about how necessary it is to keep XML
> support for the Nova v3 API, given that if we want to drop it doing so
> during the v2->v3 transition is pretty much the ideal time to do so.
>
> The current plan is to keep it and is what we have been doing so far
> when porting extensions, but there are pretty obvious long term
> development and test savings if we only have one API format to support.

We need to keep XML support. XML is clearly superior to JSON in all
matters and enterprises won't use OpenStack unless there is XML support.

In fact, I think we should actually consider using XML for our
configuration files instead of this silly INI format. I've been playing
a lot recently with Jenkins' XML configuration files, and I think
they're super easy to use and read.

Best,
-jay