[openstack-dev] [RFC] Remove nova plugins framework

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Jun 19 07:43:54 UTC 2013

Hi

We merged a plugins framework[1] into Nova[2] and oslo-incubator[3]
almost a year ago and AFAICT hasn't seen use beyond the two initial
wikimedia extensions[4][5] for Nova.

The framework basically allows a way for a single plugin to register API
extensions and notification hooks. Both of these can be done by directly
using config opts like osapi_compute_extension and notification_driver
so IMHO this framework really only helps if we expected to (and wanted
to) lots of these plugins in the wild.

The reason I even noticed this is that I was considering whether
oslo.messaging would need to include the equivalent of the current
notification API's add_driver() function. This is only used by the
plugins framework.

We have a MAINTAINERS file in oslo-incubator that explains how APIs need
to be actively maintained and in use by multiple projects or the APIs
will be removed from oslo-incubator.:

  https://github.com/openstack/oslo-incubator/blob/master/MAINTAINERS

The plugins framework is listed as orphaned and is only in use by Nova.

I've put up these patches to remove it:

  https://review.openstack.org/33595
  https://review.openstack.org/33597

Any objections?