[openstack-dev] The future of run_tests.sh

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jun 18 08:59:57 UTC 2013

Joe Gordon wrote:
> Reasons to keep run_tests.sh:
>
> * there is no possibility to run tests with testtools instead of testr.
> This feature allows us to use the debugger.
> * in some projects tox doesn't use a testr wrapper to report progress
> while tests are running
> * building the sdist can be slow (slow == noticeable)

It also makes unit testing easily discoverable. After a repo clone it's
rather obvious that run_tests.sh will run tests. If you remove it,
people have to go through some effort to discover and run "tox -epy27".

The issue here is not really the burden of maintaining an alternate
testing method in the tree... it's that by default newcomers use the
alternate method rather than the one used by our CI infrastructure,
which should be their default choice.

Personally I would introduce a TESTING file that would describe all
available methods for running tests, and rename/move run_tests.sh to
something less discoverable... so that people looking for ways to run
tests would find TESTING first.

Then if developers care about any alternate method they will maintain
it, and if it's unmaintained it can be removed.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)