[openstack-dev] unittests on devstack hosts

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Jun 17 23:06:26 UTC 2013

Hi all!

A fascinating discussion and argument came up in #openstack-infra about
running unittests on devstack nodes. Since a devstack node is set up for
doing both dev and debugging of a running openstack, one could see why
people might be interested in using it as a primary dev location, and
thus want to run unittests. On the other hand, as it's an integrate
environment, it has been argued that running unittests there is not a
reasonable expectation.

No one is arguing this:

- unittests should always work on a devstack host inside of a venv

I mean, it's a venv - the fact that you're on a devstack machine is
irrelvant. Btw- apparently keystone and python-keystone client do not
work in this context - we should probably sort that out.

The question is:

- Should unittests work outside of a venv on a devstack host.

I argue yes. I see absolutely no reason why it shouldn't work - all of
the depends should be installed - and openstack itself is installed -
why wouldn't running the unittests using the repos that are on the host
work?

Thoughts? Agreement? Disagreement?

Monty