[openstack-dev] Nova list with all-tenants flag

Andrew Laski andrew.laski at rackspace.com
Mon Jun 17 20:57:22 UTC 2013

On 06/17/13 at 01:30pm, Ben Nemec wrote:
>Is there ever a situation where you would use tenant_id and not want
>all_tenants=1?  If there is then I can maybe see leaving it, but if
>tenant_id implies all_tenants=1 then IMHO it's rather poor to force
>the user to remember to set it.

I tend to agree with Chris that all_tenants should still be required,
unless we want to get rid of all_tenants entirely.  I don't see why
--tenant should imply it, but other admin only search options like
status/flavor/host wouldn't.

>To be honest, as someone fairly new to OpenStack I found it very
>unintuitive that a request made as an admin user doesn't behave as
>though it came from an admin unless an extra option is set.  By way
>of analogy, I feel like this would be similar to if vim required you
>to do "# vim --as-root some-file" to edit a file as root.  I already
>authenticated as root (or admin), why are you forcing me to reiterate
>that I am?  If I don't want admin privileges I won't use an admin
>user.

This feels like the heart of the issue to me.  Are there use cases for
an admin user to not use those admin privileges unless specifically
asked for, or would it be better to assume an admin user is always
acting as an admin?  And if we can come to some consensus on that we
should be consistent with that policy across all API requests and client
commands.