[openstack-dev] Moniker renamed to Designate, and applies for Incubation.

Mac Innes, Kiall kiall at hp.com
Sun Jun 16 14:39:10 UTC 2013

On 16/06/13 02:40, Monty Taylor wrote:
> SO - As a huge supporter of using dns for things (since it's the world's
> most scalable database), can I turn this around a little bit?
>
> Why don't we use DNS and/or a DNSaaS implementation to do the things in
> the list that are above that are currently keystone's job in openstack?
> Or, stated differently, why isn't this part of keystone, or keystone
> part of this? It seems like some of the things that keystone needs to do
> moving forward (global registry) have been working in the DNS for, well,
> a long time...

So - I have to admit, I've not been following keystones plans very closely!

I'm assuming you're taking about using DNS for discovery of
regions/services/endpoints etc. Essentially replacing the service
catalog? If this is what's being discussed, then absolutely. That is
what SRV records were designed for.

So - Should Keystone and Designate merge? I don't believe they should.
Keystone is the OpenStack Identity service - It provides authentication
and authorization services, which happens to include a list of services
to which you are authorized to access.

I'm not sure hosting $customer's DNS is an obvious fit within that scope.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kiall